Wedding season is upon us and the invites should be arriving in your mail boxes around this time. The dreaded question is always “what do I wear to a summer wedding?” You want to look great without taking away from the bride, that’s the goal. You want something that can easily transition from day to evening without being overdressed. A lot of summer weddings are outdoors so that brings a sense of “casual” that you just don’t have during other seasons, and that is great to work with when deciding on an outfit.
Let’s start with some basics
* Wear sleeveless, you won’t overheat
*wear something sexy, yet tasteful
*wear pretty polka dots, fun florals and summer colors like greens, peaches, yellows and pinks.
*keep a wrap or pashmina in the car for transition to evening
*wear anything too low cut
*wear white, unless the bride specifies
*wear a tight dress, fitted is different from tight. If you wouldn’t wear it in front of grandma, don’t wear it to a wedding.
P.S. heels are totally acceptable, even if you have to practice walking in grass first!
Skirts and tops always work for weddings but I prefer dresses, I think a dress, even a “casual” style brings a sense of grace to your look and appears a bit more polished. Also, when you involve separates you basically increase the chance for disaster with each piece you add, and so much more thought has to go into it. 1 piece is easier than 2, it’s as simple as that.
Here are some looks to inspire you
click to enlarge
1. Belted peach dress ($43) 2. One shoulder teal dress ($35) 3. Polka dot dress ($43) all available at Lulu’s.
4. Pleated peach swing dress ($22.80) 5. Printed maxi dress ($32.80) both available at Forever21.
6. Strapless ikat print dress ($128) 7. Ruffle front halter in deep coral ($128) 8. Plus size dolman sleeve printed dress ($140) 9. Floral wrap dress ($175) 10. One shoulder ruffle dress ($118) all available at Nordstrom.
11. Blue lace bell sleeve dress ($204) 12. Pink silk trapeze dress ($396) 13. Structured sleeveless lace dress ($248) all available at Saks.
14. Strapless peplum dress in blue ($99.42) 15. Rose printed pencil dress ($115.99) 16. Fit & flare dress in orange ($55.51) all available at Asos.